Sunday, May 15, 2011

C25K

*not an actual photo of me running lol


So I decided to jump on the C25K bandwagon after being inspired by my amazing SIL here .

C25k stands for Couch to 5k. It claims it can take almost anyone and have them running by the end of 9 weeks. Each week you alternate running and walking to gradually build yourself up to run 30 mins straight (a 5k)

Well it has its work cut out for it with me. I told Dutch I think I haven't ran in 10 years! lol. We "ran" in P.E. in high school but even then it was more of a run/walk while gossipping with your friends. Since high school I have ran if I was trying to get away from something like a snake or dutch with a hose lol.

This week was week 1 for me. Here's my thoughts for the week.

W1R1 (5min warm up, run 60 walk 90 x 8 times then walk 5 mins)
Monday night after work I was really motivated and had downloaded all of the running podcasts for the program from here. Basically someone has created playlists for each week that have great running music and when it is time to run she says run and then walk etc. Super easy.

So the music stared and it was amazing. Hip hop music by T.I, black eye peas, LL Cool J, P.Diddy, Kanye west etc. The music is what got me through the work out. When I felt I could do another 60 sec. run, Kanye would sing/rap (that doesn't kill me, only makes me stronger/work it faster, harder stronger) and it totally reved me up. However the first ten minutes I spent being too cocky and jamming out to the music too much that half way through I realized it was harder than I expected! Thank goodness suz said this is your second to last run or I would have almost pooped out. After I got off the treadmill I felt great and was pretty jazzed for this entire program.

W1R2 (5min warm up, run 60 walk 90 x 8 times then walk 5 mins)
I did this run Wednesday night after work at about 9pm on our treadmill. It was just as good as the run before. I tried to jam out to the music less to save my energy lol. Pretty much feel like a bad ass after the workout.

W1R3 (5min warm up, run 60 walk 90 x 8 times then walk 5 mins)
This run was Saturday late morning but should have been Friday night. Unfortunately, I decided Id rather have a glass of wine and work on my HBF packing. So Saturday it was so cool outside I thought this would be perfect to run outside! What was I thinking! The sun came out within the first 5 mins and it was HOT. Also, our neighborhood is SOOOO hilly. Killer. I had a hard time keeping a pace. I would run too fast and then walk too slow. I had to call it quits a little more than half way through the work out. I came inside and did the work out on the treadmill with much better results. Its going to take some time to get used to running outside. Still enjoyed the playlists but am ready for the next weeks music just to change it up. Next week we do 90 seconds of running and 2 minutes of walking for 6 times. Wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment